Ivy and Suyin are proud supporters of their local community and proudly believe in giving back to local society. For many years, Ivy has gladly contributed to SHARE Society a non-profit, independent, community based organization providing leadership and programs in response to the social needs of the residents of the Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Anmore and Belcarra), New Westminster and adjacent communities.
Ivy and Suyin also regularly support BC Children's Hospitals Miracle Network, Joy's Shelter; a local women's shelter in the Tri-Cities, Hawthorne Seniors Care Community in Port Coquitlam, Zajac Ranch for Children and the Terry Fox Foundation among many others.
Port Coquitlam is a city in British Columbia, Canada. Located 27 km east of Vancouver, it sits at the confluence of the Fraser River and the Pitt River. Coquitlam borders it on the north, the Coquitlam River borders it on the west, and the cities of Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows lie across the Pitt River. Port Coquitlam is almost entirely bisected by a Canadian Pacific Railway yard with two underpass crossings. Port Coquitlam is commonly reffered to as "Poco." Port Coquitlam is not to be confused with the adjacent and larger Coquitlam.
The area was first used by the Coast Salish people, including the Kwikwetl'em people. The first European settlers began farming beside the Pitt River in 1859. The Canadian Pacific Railway moved its terminus from Vancouver to the banks of the Fraser River in 1911. Port Coquitlam was first incorporated as a municipality on March 7, 1913. Port Coquitlam was originally mostly farm land; however, because of the densification and expansion of Vancouver, it has now become mostly suburban housing, especially on its northern and southwestern sides. The economy has diversified with a variety of industrial and commercial developments, including metal fabrication, high technology industries, and transportation.
Port Moody, British Columbia is a small city forming a crescent at the east end of Burrard Inlet in British Columbia, Canada, and part of the Greater Vancouver Regional District. It is bordered by Coquitlam on the east, and Burnaby on the west. The villages of Belcarra, and Anmore along with the rugged Coast Mountains lie to the northwest and north respectively.
At the eastern end of Burrard Inlet, the Port Moody area was originally used by the Squamish and Musqueam First Nations as a temporary summer camp. In later years, European explorers from Spain and Britain mapped the area in search of Sea Otter fur to trade with China. As more permanent settlements, such as Fort Langley, developed in the area, Port Moody became significant as an alternate supply route when the Fraser River was hazardous or blocked.
With the Cariboo Gold Rush in 1858, the Royal Engineers under the command of Colonel Richard Clement Moody were dispatched from England to survey the new Crown colony of mainland British Columbia. The group of military officers, 150 enlisted sappers and their families arrived and set up their barracks in an area still known as Sapperton in New Westminster. After surveying townsites, mapping the area and constructing several major roads still used today such as North Road, the Royal Engineers were recalled in 1863. All of the officers returned to England, but most of the sappers and their families chose to remain, accepting 150 acre (0.6 km²) land grants as compensation.
Four sappers received land grants in the Port Moody area. Of these, only the Murray family eventually settled here. Subsequently, Port Moody became home to a small resort community named Aliceville at the end of North Road, several farms, and a number of loggers and mill workers around the Inlet. An interesting story regarding the region and submarines – there were submarines in the Moody Arm of Burrard Inlet as early as 1915. During the first half of the 1914-1918 war, German warships were very active raiding shipping and shore facilities on the Pacific Ocean. In fact, the very first tanker carrying crude oil from Columbia in South America to the brand new oil refinery hear Port Moody (Ioco had yet to be named) had been captured by a German gunboat in 1914.
Burnaby topographical maps show "Submarine Creek" flowing into Burrard Inlet at the then construction site but there is no other evidence of this activity. Also, just before the Second World War started in 1939, a Japanese submarine, on a courtesy visit to the Port of Vancouver, was refueled at the Ioco Refinery.
Now Port Moody is largely a suburban development area, especially around an area known as Heritage Mountain. The city, however, still retains many historical buildings, especially along Clarke Street. The city is growing quickly and in recent years has started constructing high-rises in an area known as NewPort Village, the city's shopping centre. Port Moody's main industrial area is along the southern coast of Burrard Inlet. The city houses a large sulphur depot located at the end of Burrard Inlet.
Coquitlam is a mid-sized city in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Canada. It has population of 139,284 (2016), and is one of the 21 municipalities comprising the Greater Vancouver Regional District. Coquitlam is mainly a suburban city, with a large and affluent multicultural community in a region known as Westwood Plateau. The mayor of Coquitlam is Maxine Wilson.
The Coast Salish were the first people to live in this area. The word Kwikwetlem means "smell like fish" in the Halkomelem language . Simon Fraser came through the region in 1808, and in the 1860s Europeans gradually started settling the area.
Coquitlam began as a "place-in-between" since the area was opened up with the construction of North Road in the mid-1800s. While the purpose of the road was to provide Royal Engineers in New Westminster access to the year-round port facilities in Port Moody, the effect was to provide access to the vast area between and to the east. This led to a period of settlement and agriculture, providing slow and steady growth leading up to incorporation of the municipality of the District of Coquitlam in 1891. The young municipality got its first boost in the dying years of the 19th century when Frank Ross and James McLaren opened Fraser Mills, a $350,000, then state-of-the-art lumber mill on the north bank of the Fraser River. By 1908, a mill town of 20 houses, a store, post office, hospital, office block, barber shop, and pool hall had grown around the mill.
A year later one of the most significant events in Coquitlam's history took place. Mill owners, in search of workers, turned their attention to the experienced logging culture of Québec, and in 1909 a contingent of 110 French Canadians arrived, recruited for work at Fraser Mills. With the arrival of a second contingent in June 1910, Maillardville was born. Named for Father Maillard, a young Oblate from France, Maillardville was more than just a French-Canadian enclave in Western Canada: it was a vibrant community, the largest Francophone centre west of Manitoba, and the seed for the future growth of Coquitlam. While the passing of time has diluted the use of the French language in British Columbia, it is still heard on the streets and in the homes on the south slope of Coquitlam. Maillardville's past is recognized in street names that honour early pioneers and in local redevelopments which reflect its French-Canadian heritage.
The steady growth continued throughout the first half of the 20th century, helped in part by the region's strategic position on Canada's west coast. The opening of Lougheed Highway in 1953 made the city more accessible and set the stage for residential growth in the early 1960s. Coquitlam experienced a period of boom in the mid-1970s that continues today.